Main menu

Pages

Can My Dog Catch corona virus ?



Can My Dog Catch corona virus ?

It started out as an innocuous midday headache which disappeared shortly after I gulped down two aspirin at lunch. But by the next morning, my throat felt like the Sahara, my nose wouldn’t stop running and I could barely drag myself out of bed to take care of my morning duties! After forcing myself through my morning routine, I knew I would never make it through a full day of work.

So I called in sick and resigned myself to snuggling with my 3 year old Samoyed, panda, and watching drama-filled daytime programming on TV. Only after forcing down some chicken noodle soup and popping two more aspirin did I realize with horror that I had spent the greater part of the day coughing on, breathing on, and having close contact with poor little panda and I was struck with the realization that in all probability, I had passed my flu on to her without even thinking!

Luckily for me, I recovered from the flu within a couple of days. And luckily for Panda, she did not get sick! But how, after so much close contact and sharing of space was Panda able to remain healthy? Can dogs catch the flu from humans?The simple answer to these questions is that, no, dogs cannot catch the flu from humans.

The influenza virus that infects humans is specially adapted to attack the human body and to date, there have been no documented cases of a human passing the illness on to a dog. Although the flu is not a common illness for dogs, the relatively new strain of the influenza virus that infects dogs (canine influenza) is thought to be a mutation of a strain of influenza that infects horses and it is becoming more and more widespread in the .
Canine influenza is thought to have a mortality rate of between 1 and 10% and since dogs do not have any natural immunity to the disease, all dogs that are exposed to the airborne virus can potentially become infected. Even though Panda did not get sick from contact with me during my sick days, I have been keeping an eye on her, just in case she contracts the canine version of the illness from our visits to the dog park and other social activities. 

Dog flu symptoms are very similar to the symptoms related to Bordetella (Kennel Cough). So if any of these symptoms are noticed, it is recommended that the dog be taken to the vet for a proper diagnosis. Despite the fact that the dog flu is not related to the human flu, there are still over-the-counter medications to help relieve dog flu symptoms while the dog recovers.

One that seems to work particularly well is COUGHfree cough syrup made by Heel Inc, which is a non-drowsy formula that relieves wet and dry coughs in cats and dogs. my dog and I both hope that she steers clear of the dog flu and now we both feel confident that we can snuggle and comfort each other when one of us is under the weather!